Monday, July 2, 2007

So i know i sent and email yesterday but to tell you the truth i could not hold in my excitement. Siquijor the island where i will be living for the next two years is also known as the "playground of the Visayans." I am on cloud nine right now. When my name was called my hands where shaking as i walked up front to place my name on the map along with others. I have now met my supervisor and we have started to discuss my future two years and it has only made me more excited, am motivated about what the future holds. Along with me there are three other future volunteers on the island. The island can be rode around by bike in about 5 hours, so there will always be someone near by if i need to get away for a bit. Now this does not change my point of view about the challenges that are ahead because of where i am going to be. This is still going to be hard and things could change at anytime but if things do work out, i believe that i will be happy where i am going. These next five days will continue to reveal the many aspects of what life is going to be like starting in August if all works out well and i pass my training. Last week was kind of stressful because it was mid pre-service training assessment week. We had a language test that was taped along with interviews, self assessments, staff assessments of trainees, and much much more. This will all go into our files in Manila. So it was good to get the week over with. Another bit of positive news is that there was a joint meeting and discussion between the PST staff and our cluster about the events that had taken place and the toll that i had taken on us and the staff. The meeting went really well and after awhile people felt comfortable enough to open up about the subject and it was obvious to the staff that things needed to change and they have. No one has gone home and the cluster remains whole but there are some new things that are being done both spoken and unspoken and for right now that is the way it need to be. I pray that this is the last time i will have to mention this subject. Over the weekend we took a trip out to a small island with one of the most amazingly beautiful coral reefs that i have seen. At one point i was swimming in the middle of a school of Jack fish numbering around 300. I would stop swimming and they would start to slowly circle around me and the another PCT. It was amazing and inspiring. It was also a chance to spend time with the other trainees C. It was a time to take stock of where we were and where we are going. Things here are very overwhelming right now and these emails which are already long enough only cover a few of the things that wish i could talk about. Cultural aspects of life and the realities of life both the good and the bad, life and death, and the simple things that make the day go by more some of many other happenings that i to omit. More specifically my family killing our pig at 5:30 { talk about an alarm clock} in the morning or me tripping as i got off a bus and commando rolled over a parked motor bike (you know......... the things that add stories to our lives). These are the events that impact my everyday but can not find the time to talk about. I know these emails are jumbled at best. Thank you for caring enough to read these. I hope to talk to you again soon. Maayo Gabii (Good Evening)

No comments: